[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4781: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4783: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
MMA-Torrents.com Forum • View topic - Strikeforce's Lindland looking forward to pounding a hole in Lawler's head

Forum is open for all, Tracker is invite only. Please use same username as on both when you register...

Username: Log me on automatically each visit
Password:
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 9:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]
 Post subject: Strikeforce's Lindland looking forward to pounding a hole in Lawler's head
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:25 am 
Special

Longtime middleweight veteran Matt Lindland (22-7 MMA, 1-1 SF) is currently mired in a 2-3 slump, but don't let the record fool you.

"The Law" has been in the cage with some of the world's best fighters in that stretch, and he still proves a dangerous foe to anyone in the 185-pound division.

In fact, as Lindland eyes a Dec. 4 matchup with Robbie Lawler (19-6 MMA, 1-2 SF) at the Showtime-broadcast "Henderson vs. Babalu" event, the 40-year-old believes he's performing as well as ever, and he still considers himself a top-10 caliber fighter.

"I'm think I'm still one of the top contenders in the sport – top 10 guys," Lindland said. "Of course, I lost to the champion, 'Jacare,' and I think this is a great path back to title contention. A win against Robbie certainly solidifies me in that top 10, and I just need to focus on this fight."

Prior to his May victory over submission artist Kevin Casey, Lindland had earned just one win in four trips to the cage. However the losses came to current Strikeforce middleweight champion Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza, current UFC title challenger Vitor Belfort and heavyweight legend Fedor Emelianenko.

So while the results look bad on paper, Lindland said he was never discouraged.

"I faced two of the top guys in the sport," Lindland told MMAjunkie.com (http://www.mmajunkie.com). "I lost to 'Jacare,' and he's arguably one of the best submission fighters in the sport. He's the Strikeforce champion. My other loss was to Vitor. A lot of guys get caught trading punches with Vitor. He's quick. He hits hard, and that guys in the top title contention in the other organization. You're comparing two losses that were to two of the best guys that other guys, frankly, didn't want to fight.

"Other guys were turning down fights against both those guys. I wanted to get in the ring and compete. I've always stepped up and taken on the top guys. I've never shied away from any matchup because the guy was a highly ranked guy or a great fighter. Those are the guys I want to fight."

Lindland returned to the win column in the fight with Casey. That contest headlined a Challengers Series event that left some people scratching their head as to how a 13-year veteran could end up headlining a prospect-based fight card.

Lindland said he didn't see the booking as a slight. Instead, he enjoyed the opportunity to headline a televised fight card in his hometown.

"I didn't look at it as a disrespect at all," Lindland said. "Strikeforce approached me about fighting on the card. It was in my hometown. It was an opportunity for me to fight in front of my friends, my family. Both my kids were able to go to the fight without putting them on a plane and getting a hotel. So for me, it was a great opportunity.

"It was about headlining a show that was a televised event in my hometown against an up-and-coming fighter. I was happy to do that. I was happy to get and there and compete and get a paycheck."

But now, Lindland is back on the big show and facing a proven knockout artist in Lawler. While "Ruthless" has also struggled to a 1-2 record in his past three fights, Lindland said he has the utmost respect for Lawler – and not just as a potent striker.

"I've been working on all aspects of my game – the standup, the ground, the wrestling, the submissions – every bit of it," Lindland said. "Robbie is a well-rounded fighter. People categorize him as a big striker and a brawler, but the guy is well-rounded. He knows how to fight on his feet. He knows how to wrestle. He knows how to fight on the ground. I have to be prepared for all aspects of the sport in this fight and moving forward.

"I think it's whoever can impose their will. I'd love to put Robbie on his back and pound a hole in his head. I'm sure Robbie would like to keep it on the feet and put me to sleep while I'm standing up."

In Lawler, Lindland faces a fighter 12 years his junior. And while his opponent likely has the sharper physical tools, Lindland believes his experience will provide him the edge he needs to claim victory.

"I think I'm a little more experienced, a little wiser," Lindland said. "I wouldn't argue with people that say the guy is athletic. He's got speed. He's got power. I'm going to have to use superior positioning, conditioning and the knowledge of the sport and put him in positions he's not comfortable in."

A one-time UFC title challenger, Lindland's mixed results in recent bouts left some MMA observers wondering if "The Law" was nearing the end of the line. But Lindland said there's still plenty of fighting left in his future, and he plans delivering a vintage performance on Dec. 4.

"I think all fights have pressure, especially when you're fighting at this caliber," Lindland said. "Every fight you're fighting a top contender or a champion or a former champion. They're all important fights.

"I've never seen Robbie in a fight that wasn't exciting, so I don't plan on this being any different. I'm looking forward to going out there and performing – not just performing; I'm looking forward to kicking the [expletive] put of Robbie."

http://mmajunkie.com/news/21538/strikef ... s-head.mma

“He who attacks must vanquish. He who defends must merely survive. "

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 1 post ]